PID: Your rights and responsibilities
You are here
As a member of the public or a public sector officer, the Public Information Disclosure Act 2010 provides rights and responsibilities.
An individual has a right to:
- make a public information disclosure (PID)
- support and protection from reprisal having made a disclosure
- reasonable information about any action taken in response to a disclosure
An individual has a responsibility to:
- provide honest and accurate information
- not make a disclosure based on mere suspicion
NB: An individual is not required to investigate a matter before making a PID and a disclosure may still be considered a PID even if the information turns out to be incorrect or unable to be substantiated. This allows for a individual’s genuine misinterpretation of information to be considered a PID.